Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Ariel and Sasha Experience ... The Beatles!

Ariel: Okay, so, one of the first things you will notice about this band is that they do not have Joe Satriani for a guitarist.
Sasha: Welllll ... maybe people other than us would notice something different?
Ariel: Oh. Yeah, I guess probably other people will have heard a bunch of other stuff before listening to The Beatles. But I promise everyone who has only listened to a little bit of music and some of it was Joe Satriani, you will quickly notice that Joe Satriani is not in The Beatles.
Sasha: And also wasn't in The Beatles when they were still together.
Ariel: That too.
Sasha: But we're not complaining about that, are we?
Ariel: Oh goodness no! I was just warning people the way msg warned us before he put The Beatles on.
Sasha: He did warn us.
Ariel: Something like, The Beatles aren't known for being virtuoso musicians, so don't expect this to sound like Joe Satriani.
Sasha: Which I was actually okay with, because if they sounded just like Joe Satriani, why not just listen to the Joe Satriani album again? Or get another Joe Satriani album.
Ariel: Although I think both of those sound like really good ideas.
Sasha: Maybe. I mean, definitely the listening to the one we listened to again, but I don't know if he's going to top that one, so I don't know about getting another one.
Ariel: I'm in favor of it, even though msg says the other Joe Satriani albums he's heard are not as good.
Sasha: Plus, we haven't listened to every The Beatles album yet, and honestly, I think they're now higher on my to-do list.
Ariel: Maybe we should start actually talking about them, then?
Sasha: Yes! Excellent idea, my sweet!
Ariel: Okay, so we started off with The Beatles.
Sasha: Wait! Be careful, the BF says "With The Beatles" is a whole different album.
Ariel: Have we heard that one?
Sasha: No. We don't have it.
Ariel: Okay, well I'm going to assume for now it's not important, then.
Sasha: Maybe not a good assumption, but on the other hand, maybe that means we'll be pleasantly surprised later.
Ariel: I like pleasant surprises!
Sasha: They're definitely better than the other kind.
Ariel: Any way, The Beatles. Which is apparently one of the most famous albums ever.
Sasha: So famous, no one knows the name of it.
Ariel: It's true! Kind of hard to believe, because it's hard to miss seeing the title, since it's absolutely 100% the only thing on the whole cover.
Sasha: The letters aren't huge, and it's a little off-center, but I don't know why that's an excuse.
Ariel: Maybe people are just lazy? They see this way sparse white cover, and the letters are small, so instead of reading, they just say, "Too hard to read. I'll just call it 'The White Album.'"
Sasha: I'm not sure laziness explains it. I mean, it's more syllables to say "The White Album" than to say "The Beatles."
Ariel: Maybe they're too lazy to count the syllables?
Sasha: Good point.
Ariel: So anyway, we had listened to a few other albums by the time msg played this one for us --
Sasha: Like Joe Satriani.
Ariel: Yes. And I think msg was getting tired of us comparing everything to Joe Satriani.
Sasha: Those guitar solos!
Ariel: Hard to beat.
Sasha: Most guitarists should not even try.
Ariel: Agreed. But this The Beatles album will definitely open up your eyes about there being more to rock music than guitar solos!
Sasha: Way more!
Ariel: It starts off with a plane landing.
Sasha: Hey, the Joe Satriani album also started with a recording of stuff that wasn't musical instruments or singing.
Ariel: Whoa. Do you think he stole that from The Beatles?
Sasha: Or maybe just every band or artist does that.
Ariel: That's another possibility, for sure.
Sasha: Although I don't remember that on any of those Led Zepellin albums we listened to.
Ariel: Probably because those Led Zepelling guys would never steal an idea from somewhere else.
Sasha: You got an extra g in there in that last sentence.
Ariel: I know. It was a typo, but I kinda like it! I think it's what I'll call it from now on when we're listening to them. "We're Led Zepelling!"
Sasha: What about when we're listening to The Beatles?
Ariel: I don't want to have to make up a new word every time we listen to a different band. "Listening to The Beatles" is fine.
Sasha: It sure is!
Ariel: Where was I?
Sasha: Plane landing.
Ariel: Oh my god this is going to take forever to get through.
Sasha: Let's just keep talking instead of worrying about that.
Ariel: Okay. Deep breath. Okay.
Ariel: So after the plane lands, or I guess while it's still landing, the music starts. And it's pretty rockin'!
Sasha: Nice bendy guitar note ...
Ariel: Rockin' piano ...
Sasha: Excellent drums ...
Ariel: I really liked the drums.
Sasha: Right? But then when we said, this band has a really good drummer, the BF was like, "Actually that's not their drummer. The drummer was pissed off that day and left, so the other guys did the drumming on this one."
Ariel: I thought he was kidding us. I even said, "Are you kidding me?"
Sasha: Me too, but I think I said "shitting" instead of "kidding."
Ariel: You're a potty mouth.
Sasha: No, my mouth has been a lot of places, but I'd never put it on the potty.
Ariel: Anyway, then I was like, "I thought you said these guys weren't good musicians! But even the guys who aren't the drummer can drum this good? The drummer must be freaking awesome!"
Sasha: To be fair, he didn't say they weren't good, he just said people didn't think they were virtuosos.
Ariel: Still, after that first song I really felt like he undersold them, virtuoso-wise. I mean, the guitar solo was no Joe Satriani guitar solo, but it had ... something. You know?
Sasha: And then there was that one-note solo where it's playing so fast it just sounds like one lonnnnng, long note.
Ariel: There were two solos?
Sasha: Sort of? Is it a solo if it's happening while they're singing?
Ariel: I don't know, there's no singing on the Joe Satriani album.
Sasha: Lots of singing on The Beatles, though.
Ariel: Yes! Excellent singing! And the words were all super-interesting.
Sasha: All of them?
Ariel: Well, most of them.
Sasha: I'm just remembering the song where all they said was "Honey Pie," over and over.
Ariel: That was such a freaky song!
Sasha: And the one where he just kept asking "Why don't we do it in the road?"
Ariel: I thought those were pretty interesting words. Didn't you?
Sasha: Appealing more than interesting?
Ariel: Now you're being all nit-picky.
Sasha: No, I'm just saying I don't know about calling them all super-interesting.
Ariel: Okay, maybe not the super part for all of them. But most of them! And at least interesting-interesting for the rest.
Sasha: Sure. Basically.
Ariel: And anyway, there was also how the words went with the music, which was super-interesting on all of them, and if you argue with me I will fight you!
Sasha: You will not.
Ariel: Okay, I won't. But if I was the kind of person who would fight people, I would fight you.
Sasha: No you wouldn't, I would just look at you like this and batt my eyes like this ...
Ariel: ...
Ariel: Oh, all right, I wouldn't even then. But I'd be mad!
Sasha: Except you wouldn't because I wouldn't argue about that. Those are some damn interesting songs when you put all the words and music together.
Ariel: I know, right? And like, the music's always doing something different in the background like the bass is doing this thing on this verse and that thing on that verse, and some verses there's guitar and some there's horns and stuff.
Sasha: Very cool.
Ariel: We probably sound dumb to people who know more about music.
Sasha: You might be right ... but if they think we sound dumb for sounding like this about The Beatles, they're not as smart as they think.
Ariel: That's most people though, isn't it? Less smart than they think.
Sasha: Too true!
Ariel: Not The Beatles, though. The Beatles are way smart.
Sasha: Maybe too smart. Revolution 9?
Ariel: Is that the one where I was like, "What. The. Hell."
Sasha: And the BF says he likes it.
Ariel: Don't remind me! "You can hear so much stuff on this new mix. It's vast. Just listen really closely." Nooooooo!
Sasha: Definitely too smart.
Ariel: But we love him!
Sasha: And now we love The Beatles!
Ariel: A hundred percent. Maybe that's a good place to end this one?
Sasha: Good as any.
Ariel: Okay, "Goodnight, everybody!"
Sasha: Everybody everywhere!
Ariel: Goodnight!












3 comments:

  1. Ariel: I don't want to have to make up a new word every time we listen to a different band. "Listening to The Beatles" is fine.
    Sasha: It sure is!
    The pair of you are completely mental. But the good kind of mental! The way you review your experiences with things is fresh and hilarious, and all of us here at Deafening silence Plus look forward to More Of The Same. Nice!

    Also, clearly you were getting some sort of kickback from Joe Satriani.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Our first comment from someone who isn’t us or Claire! Thank you, Davecat! We feel like real bloggers now!

    We definitely like to kick back and listen to some Joe Satriani, too, so obviously you know what you’re talking about!

    ReplyDelete